Today i talking about some of the advanced SEO options for Blogspot. Whenever we talk about BlogSpot Vs. WordPress, we always give WordPress an edge in the terms of SEO. Google blogger team always trying to do some new about SEO for blogspot lovers. Blogspot also have some SEO features. So, let’s not waste our time and learn about all new features and how to use it.
How to Enable BlogSpot Advanced SEO settings?
Login to your Blogger dashboard and under settings > search preference you will find all the new SEO options which are added by Blogger team. You have to enable all the settings one by one, and my suggestion is to read this guide seriously else a wrong settings (BlogSpot Robots.txt), may lead to complete de-indexing of your blog.
New SEO features added by Blogger team:
- Description meta tag:
- Custom 404-page message
- Custom redirects (Redirect 404 pages to any page on your blog).
- Custom robots.txt
- Custom Robots header tags
- No follow tag, open link in new tab
Description Meta tags:
Here you will be explaining what your blog is about. An informative description within 150 character will help readers to understand about your blog and will help you to get more click from search engine. Also, from SEO perspective, I would suggest you to use your main keyword here in BlogSpot meta tags description.
Custom 404 message:
A 404 page is usually a mistyped pages or a visitor land on a page, which doesn’t exceed. This custom 404 message will let you create the custom HTML message, which you can display on your Blogger 404 pages. Now, it’s time for you to use your creativity and design something awesome.
Seems like The internet is broken,
and you landed here by mistake. But, I got something special for you andI picked the best pages from my site here. Check out my top 5 hand picked post:
<li><a href=”#” target=”_blank”>your best post 1
<li><a href=”#” target=”_blank”>your best post 2</a></li>
<p>If you lost the heart to browse my site, you can still poke me on Facebook <a href=”your facebook link” target=”_blank”>here</a>.</p>
It is very useful when any 3rd party site linked to your site and added a link that doesn’t exist or if you remove a page and want to redirect the traffic. You can use Google Webmaster tool to find all such 404 pages and set the redirection. It might be a little lengthy process, but in some cases it is very useful to tap the missing traffic and convert them into real traffic.
Nofollow/Open in new tab:
Earlier, we used to add nofollow link attribute using HTML, but this new one click link addition will make the task very easier. My suggestion for you is to use nofollow link attribute only when you have to link to irrelevant domains and pages that you don’t trust.
Custom robots header tags:
It is a most needed feature for SEO of your BlogSpot blog, though it looks like little confusing but i will try to explain everything in simple words.
A Robots.txt file is used to stop search engine bots from crawling the “Not so important” part of your blog. For example, Search pages, archive pages and so on.
Inside Blogger settings under custom robots header tags, you will have the following options that I will describe here:
- All: If you have selected this option for a page into your Blogger, it means there is no restrictions to robots for crawling and indexing to that page. This is also a default value for all pages and posts inside your Blogger, if you don’t have enabled this option.
- Noindex: This is what we want to use custom header tags, but a mistake to choose this option can vanish your blog from the search engines. If you choose “noindex” to any page in your Blogger then then the robots can not crawl and index that page. It means you would not see this page into search engines.
- Nofollow: Let you have a post that contains internal and external links. By default, Google crawler will follow each links inside your posts and consider for rankings. If you don’t wish to follow your link on a particular page or post, simply add nofollow robot meta tag on that page or choose this option in your Blogger.
- None: It means you are selecting both “noindex” and “nofollow”.
- noarchive: Choosing this option will remove “cached” link from the search.
- nosnippet: It will remove the snippet (meta description) from the search result pages.
- noodp: Selecting this option will remove the meta data (title or snippet) from open directory projects like DMOZ.
- notranslate: It will tell to spiders not to offer translate into search engines pages.
- noimageindex: If this option selected, your post will remain in the search results but the images on that page will not show up in the search.
- unavailable_after: You also have an option to noindex a page after a specific time.
SEO friendly Custom Robots Header Tags Settings in Blogger
Just follow the simple steps to make your custom robots header tags completely SEO friendly.
Login to your Blogger dashboard -> Select your blog -> Settings -> Search preferences -> Edit (under custom robots header tags) -> Now, click “yes” to enable this option.
Now, select the options as per the screenshot into your header tags, and finally click on “Save changes”. You have done!
Hope this guide very useful to you and some next time i will discuss in details about only Robots.txt .